It seems that everything happens when I’m on vacation, firstly the announcement of the iPhone 4S and secondly and more recently, Steve Jobs passing away. I had put together the following information and thoughts on the iPhone 4S announcement, I was just about to post them when I heard the sad announcement of Steve Jobs passing away.
Many millions of people worldwide were looking out for the announcement of the iPhone 5 and were left a bit deflated when there was no iPhone 5 but a newer iPhone 4 modeled on the same design of the iPhone 4.
Apple didn’t re-design the iPhone 4 because quite frankly, the iPhone 4 is the best looking and designed iPhone to date. It’s so good that Samsung and other companies are copying the design of the iPhone 4, like they did with the iPad and iPad 2 to increase their sales.
For anyone thinking there isn’t a lot of new features in the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 4S is evolutionary not revolutionary, here is a breakdown of the new features…
- iOS 5 – greatly overhauled to enhance speed, enhance notifications and a lot more
- Dual-Core A5 chip, making the device much faster
- All new 8 megapixel camera with better CMOS (almost double the pixels over the iPhone 4′s 5 megapixel camera), f/2.4 aperture and face detection
- 1080P HD Video Recording as standard
- New Notification Message Center and iMessage
- iCloud support allowing you to have all your data in the cloud
- iTunes Match allowing you to have all your music in the cloud
- Siri. The intelligent assistant that helps you get things done. All you have to do is ask
- iPhone 4S supports ALL networks GSM and CDMA in a single phone
- AirPlay as standard
- iPhone 4S is the first phone to intelligently switch between two antennas to transmit and receive, so call quality is better. It also doubles the maximum HSDPA data speeds from 7Mbps to 14.4 Mbps. Which means faster connections, faster loading and reloading, and faster downloads.
The biggest enhancement that everyone will see on a daily usage is the A5 processor as Apple explain “Two cores in the A5 chip deliver up to two times more power and up to seven times faster graphics.2 And you’ll feel the effects. Fast. iPhone 4S is quick and responsive, which makes all the difference when you’re launching apps, browsing the web, gaming and doing just about everything. And no matter what you’re doing, you can keep on doing it. Because the A5 chip is so power-efficient, iPhone 4S has outstanding battery life.“
If you still doubt the A5 chip will enhance the iPhone 4S then “The dual-core A5 chip delivers up to two times more processing power, which makes iPhone 4S even more responsive. Pages load quicker. Gameplay is better. And everything just feels faster.“
So there might not be an iPhone 5 available this year, but these are significant enhancements over the iPhone 4, very similar to the enhancements seen from the iPad 2 over the original iPad.
To compare some of the iPhone 4S features, see the table below
Will many previous iPhone customers upgrade? I think it will be similar to how many iPad 1 customers upgraded to iPad 2. Eventually when your mobile phone contracts are up for renewal then many will go for the iPhone 4S. The die-hard Apple fans will undoubtedly upgrade within the first 3 months of launch. For anyone upgrading the main enhancements will be the Speed of the dual core processor, the enhanced camera and video recording and perhaps Siri.